Monday, August 17, 2009

Aiding and Abetting

I just talked with a young friend of mine, and gave her the number to the local not-for-profit abortion clinic. I don't even know whether or not to post an abortion topic because it'll just draw all the trolls out like chum for the sharks. And yet.

I've never had an abortion. By the time I found out I was pregnant with my son I was already past 24 weeks. Also, I have always wanted a son, and was told at an early age I'd never have children. I love my son completely, but I won't require any other woman to complete a pregnancy or raise a child. Just because some of us rise to the challenge, and have the requisite tools (mentally, personality-wise, community resources, friends, family, and finances) it does not mean that every unplanned pregnancy must be carried to term.

I'm with Obama on that the goal should be reducing unplanned pregnancies. Birth control, condoms, latex-free condoms, female condoms, sponges, spermicides, and foams, oh my! Can't remember to take a pill everyday? Get a patch once a week. Or a ring once a month. Or a shot once every three months. Hormonal birth control drives you crazy? Look into physical barriers like condoms. Or, my personal favorite, the 12-year non-hormonal IUD. It is the perfect birth control for the lazy, the crazy, or the one-night-standy (but in that case, you should double up with condoms also). Also, you don't have to worry about a fundagelical pharmacist refusing to fill your prescription. Tired of birth control always being the woman's issue? Have your guy get a vasectomy. Just prevent unwanted pregnancy while you're getting your happy, groovy freak on.

Abortions are legal and they should be. This girl is 18 years old, with more than one mental disorder diagnosis, a physically abusive father (he's a preacher), a physically abusive mother, a brother in jail for raping her (trial upcoming), and a boyfriend who just went away for a very long time. She periodically attempts to kill herself through drug overdose. She starts her senior year of high school next week. She has so many problems, and she's just starting to address them. She has a lot of healing and growing up to do before she should even think of having children. She's my friend and I care about her, but I think she would be a terrible mother at this point, regardless of her good intentions or emotions.

She called a "pregnancy and abortion info" number. She was trying to find out where she could schedule a procedure, but they told her she had to come in for counseling before they would give her the number of a clinic. "We want to talk you out of it first." Without knowing her or anything about her situation, her physical and quite serious mental problems, these people were going to advise her on the what could the biggest decision of her life? I took her in for over a month earlier this summer when she was hiding from her abusive, pastor father, immediately after her brother raped her. That doesn't give me ownership or a vote over what she does with her body, but it gives me a proven track record as being someone who actually cares about HER as a person, not as a vessel for someone else to be born of.

So, fundy trolls, tell me how evil I am and how your god says I should suffer. But first, please show me one single verse in the bible that actually says god doesn't like abortion. It's not in there, but god ordering abortion and infanticide is. So back off. Abortion is legal - we won. Get over it. And stop with the bloody violence.

And if you're pro-choice, really be pro-choice. Don't judge a friend if she makes a choice you wouldn't. Fight for poor womens' access to birth control and abortions, and volunteer your time or money to your local abortion clinic.

Planned Parenthood.org is a pretty good place to start.