Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday School 4

It's time for another round of this week's latest and greatest sites I happened to stumble upon. Feel free to direct me to good stuff, too. If I missed the most awesome video/article/blog please let me know. (Half the purpose of this blog is a resource for myself of cool stuff I've found. My bookmarks tab gets full too quickly.)

Jerry's Blog posted this awesome video on continental drift. Little Man and I watched it a couple times already. I think even creationists accept continental drift, but I could be wrong about the YECs.


650 Million Years in 1 Min. and 20 Sec. - Watch more Funny Videos

Pretty, no?

Trust me on this one, and go to Bay of Fundie's blog for Like a Virgin

Forever in Hell takes on the Christian Anti-Defamation League in "If God's So Great, Why Do You Keep Losing?" That's what I was planning on linking you to at least. Then I read this response to cries of "the government can't get anything right" and so now I think you should go there too/instead.

Actually, I'm going to quote part of it here because it's just so brilliant.
This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US Department of Energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the national weather service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I watched this while eating my breakfast of US Department of Agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the Food and Drug Administration.
It goes on from there with more fabulousness.

Over on Proud Atheists you can watch Brad Pitt's appearance on Bill Maher. He talks (jokes?) about running for governor of Louisiana. His platform would be no religion, legalization and taxation of marijuana, and legalization of same-sex marriage. Heck, I don't live in Louisiana but I'd vote for him. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been incredibly involved in New Orleans post-Katrina recovery through their Make It Right foundation. On a side note, I admire the heck outta Angelina. Her transformation gave me hope I too could outgrow my slutty, rebellious teen years. Now we're both moms and one of us is classy. (Hint: I am not classy.)

I really liked Cyber Lizard's science anecdote "The 'Real' Creation Story".

On the non-atheist My Older Brothers I about wet myself reading "Top Ten Things My Brother Learned Recently". Example: #3. If you notice a bunch of people pointing their camera phones at you, stop whatever you're doing and just walk away.

And.... Healthcare. Yes, I'm sorry to say there are people out there who still think healthcare reform and providing insurance for all Americans is a secret plot to kill old people. Or veterans. Or children with special needs. This one particularly offends because 1) Sarah Palin doesn't believe a word of what she's saying, and 2) I am the mother of a special needs child. This is just the most offensive form of fear-baiting I've come across; this whole healthcare debacle is all about turning Americans against each other. Haven't the right-wingers done that enough with all their values voters, their moral majority, and their wedge issues like abortion and same-sex marriage? Do we really need this to be getting in the way of my healthcare?

The White House has put together this "Reality Check".

Obama himself wrote this NY Times Op-Ed "Why We Need Health Care Reform".

This nice LA Times piece explains what's in the House bill.

The Atheist Jew takes it home with "Town Hall Nut Jobs Embarass the United States"

Forever in Hell reminds us that "Sarah Palin Was for Death Panels" before she was against them. Kind of like the Bridge to Nowhere.

Jerry's Blog explains the Republican Rent-a-Protester Machine and encourages people to become organ donors.

And since living wills/advanced directives have been in the news so much lately (often by idiots and charlatans) here's a place where you can put together your own living will. This document can help guide your family and physicians in making the choices for you that YOU want, like what measures you want them to take to save your life through interventions like a ventilator and resuscitation. It's about giving you the choice in your own health, not your doctor or your government or your family. You. As you can see this service isn't free. The Medicare end-of-life counseling provision mentioned in the House Bill (and villified by the likes of Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich) would pay for elderly Medicare recipients getting their legal wills.

Finally, dear readers, in health care as in all things - if it sounds too crazy to be true, look it up on FactCheck.org.